Diabetic and had stent. Felt dizzy and weak. Taking metformin, Fumrate, simvastatin, Glyburide and metroprolol. Side effect?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Good morning: My mother is in the hospital right now as she got up to go to the washroom felt dizzy and fell on her bedroom floor and laid there for 8 hours,she has not been feeling the same since her doctor changed all hers meds.She has diabetes and 2 stents.I feel all the meds she is taking is doing her more harm can you please help ? She is taking Janument {sitagliptin & metformin } Euro,Ferrous Fumarate Apo,Simvastatin Apo Glyburide,Apo Metoprolol.I would appreciate any help you can give if this med combination is not healthy for her right now she is very weak and confused,she is 76 years old and was very healthy and active until this new doctor Thank You
Posted Sun, 13 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
See for effects of metformin and glyburide.

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case.

Metformin and metaprolol has synergistic effect so combination is good.

Commonly reported side effects of Glyburide and metformin hydrochloride include breathing difficulty, hypoglycaemia, nausea, blood glucose increased, pain and congestive heart failure. So that combination needs consideration.

All other combination are normal and no major drug interaction.

As her age is 76 you need to do her complete routine check up to look for any imbalance of particular system. Commonly diabetic patients have renal ,and cardiac compromise so need to investigate for it.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.