Suffering from asthma. What medications should I take? Can I continue homeopathy medicines?

ENT Specialist
ASTHMA i had exercised induced asthma since 2004 after 18 months of gym exercises.cold weather,cigarette smokin,diwali crackers pollution,cough n cold triggers the intensity. n when i was first diagnosed doc. gave me some inhaler n medicine which i took for 15 days only.i left taking inhaler n medicine coz i came to know that gradually u bcom dependent on these inhalers n then u have to increase dosage all ur life.after then i shifted to homeopathy medicine for 6 months then i gave up honmeopathy. since last 8 yrs. m doing pranayam(yoga-sort of breathin exercise) for 15 mins daily it controls asthma to a greater i will start exercise again coz ive seen many athletes have asthma but with proper medication they continue with query is- 1)what inhaler n medicine should i take n how much time b4 exercise.should i take 2000 mcg of vit. c b4 exercise? 2)is it ok to take inhalers n medicine whole life,i m concerned about side effects.will i bcome dependent on these medicines. 3)can i continue homeopathy medicines with allopathy.
Posted Fri, 6 Dec 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Absolutely safe to use inhalers Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. At the outset, the one thing I would suggest is that please throw this notion out of your mind that using an inhaler makes the body dependent on that and if used once will lead to dependence and need for continuous increase in dose. Inhalers are one of the best and safest treatment for asthma. The inhalers are started by the doctors when a patient needs that drug and inhaler is one of the best way to deliver these drugs which in any case are needed by that patient's body. 1. Short acting beta blockers (SABA) like salbutamol are to be taken 15 minutes before exercise. 2. Those who still have symptoms despite use of SABA, a daily inhaled corticosteroid, a daily leukotriene receptor antagonist, or a mast cell stabilizing agent should be used before exercise 3. Interval or combination warm-up exercises should be done before planned exercise. 500 microgram is the XXXXXXX dose recommended daily. It is absolutely safe to use inhaler for whole life and medicines as recommended by treating doctor as the treating doctor takes in to consideration the advantages of using these and the disadvantages of not using these. When advantages overweigh the disadvantages, only then those drugs are recommended for use. Use of alternate breathing exercises like yoga is beneficial and recommended. I would not like to comment on the homeopathy medicines as this is not my field of expertise. Feel free to ask another query Regards