Suffering from anxiety, panic disorder, MVP and rapid heartbeat. Suggest some treatment to be done?

Nephrologist
Question
Hello..my name is XXXXXXX I have had anxiety/panic disorder for 20 years. I can control it pretty well and am not afraid of it anymore and I have come to accept it. My problem is this...I have been waking up at night (about 1 1/2 hours into sleep) with rapid heartbeat. It is very frightening. I am 43 years old, I weigh 118 pounds and am 5'4" tall. Last checkup ( January) my bp was 118/72, cholesetrol 140, thyroid good, blood work came back normal. The only medical condition I have is MVP (diagnosed at 20). I appreciate your time. Thank you.
Posted Sat, 18 Aug 2012 in Anxiety and Stress

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 5 minutes later
Hello

Thanks for the query

I would like to know more of the present situation in order to come to a better conclusion

1. Does the rapid heart beat settle down on its own? What settles down the rapid heart beat?
2. Have you felt like passing urine once the heart beat stops?
3. Do you feel breathless during these episodes?
4. Please mention the medications you are on right now.

Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply

Follow-up: Suffering from anxiety, panic disorder, MVP and rapid heartbeat. Suggest some treatment to be done? 7 minutes later
1. Yes, it settles down on its own after a few minutes...I can usually calm it by breathing through my diaphragm and breathing out through my mouth.
2. Yes, I have to urinate.
3. No..not really..it scares me and I tend to hyperventilate
4. I am not on any medications
Thank you

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 7 hours later
Hello

Thanks for replying in detail

The description given by you points more towards arrhythmias, these are bouts of episodes where is heart begins to beat faster than usual. You will have to be put on some medications to counter that but for now I would like you to approach a cardiologist for an EKG, ECHO and Holter monitoring of the heart. Holter is a small device which will be attached to you for 24 hours so that an EKG will be taken during these episodes of rapid beating of heart.
I would also like you to use the following advice
1. Exercise should be limited to just walking for half hour until you XXXXXXX your doctor
2. Do not smoke
3. Try to avoid travelling outside your state until you get an EKG done

I hope I have answered your query, I will be happy to answer any further ones

I wish you good health