Suffering from anal fissures. What is the best medication for anal fissures?

May 2013
I am suffering from anal fissures- what is the best medication for the same?
Posted Tue, 21 Aug 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

anal fissures usually occur due to strain during defecation, when hard stools continues there will be repeated pressure on the fissure and that will prolong the symptoms and delay healing,

so the treatment should be,
-stool softeners like lactulose syrups, plenty of water and fruits etc to be taken,
-creams containing analgesic and vasoconstictor ingredients which are available in many brands like shield, protoderm, oxyrute etc,
-analgesic tablets to relieve pain,
-short course of antibiotics,
-if needed you can apply analgesic jelly like xylocaine before or after defecation to decrease pain.

better to consult gynecologist once and get examined to confirm fissure and to rule out hemorrhoids then treatment can be taken accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.