Suffering from acute tubular necrosis. Have platelet count and fluid retention. Proper diagnosis?

Hello, my wife is currently suffering from Acute Tubular necrosis of the kidneys and in addition her platelet count keeps falling requiring platelets to be iv given. In addition she has over 15Kg's of fluid retention on board and her normal body wait is only 38Kg's

Where is this condition taking us?
Posted Tue, 9 Apr 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 2 hours later
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
From the description that you have given, it appears that you wife has developed acute tubular necrosis- a condition where in there is an inadequate blood supply to the renal tubules leading to their death. This leads to impaired renal function and acute renal failure which is depicting as a low platelet count and fluid retention and weight gain. IN her medical history you have mentioned about her suffering MDS.

Your question: Where us this condition taking us?

Please try to understand that currently what ever you are seeing is a complication of tubular necrosis. Yes, they can be fatal but not in every case. Most of the cases, patients do come out and many of them may not even require long term dialysis. Being in a critical care, it is not right to predict anything right away.
I think we need to be calm and composed and wise enough to take the necessary decisions practically. Modern day medicine has progressed enough to deal with such situations properly.
Hope I am able to solve your concerns.
Thanks and regards.
Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD