Suffered from chronic depression, anxiety and low self-esteem. Taken treatment. No improvement. Worried?

Psychiatrist
Question
I am a 60 yr old female who has suffered with chronic low to medium grade depression, anxiety and low self-esteem. I read an article about Dysthemia and am pretty sure that is what I have. I have been treated by several doctors and psychiatric nurse practitioners and have been on every med combo to make me well. Nothing has worked or at least not for long. I get hopeful every time I see a new doctor, but 20 years later, I'm in the same place. I just can't keep living my live this way. Please help me! Thanks,

XXXX
Posted Fri, 13 Sep 2013 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hi there, dysthymia is manageable.

Detailed Answer:
Hi there, thanks for asking. Dysthymia could be treated by talk sessions. It could be in the group setting or it could be individually. You can ask about cognitive behavioural therapy for dysthymia from a doctor to refer you for it. It need weekly participating in the sessions and it is improved after several months. You may not need to participate the sessions after 9 or 12 months. Low self esteem and depression and other issues you mentioned are curable. Best wishes.

Follow-up: Suffered from chronic depression, anxiety and low self-esteem. Taken treatment. No improvement. Worried? 2 hours later
Can any psychiatrist on this site recommend a psychiatrist in the Portland, Oregon or the Tampa Bay areas who has plenty of success treating patients with Dysthymia?

Greatly appreciated,

XXXX

Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Any therapist who has CBT experience can do it

Detailed Answer:
Hi there, thanks for asking. Actually any psychiatrist with experience in cognitive behaviour therapy can do it. I do not know any specific person though. Best wishes and I am positive about your progress since you are highly motivated.

Follow-up: Suffered from chronic depression, anxiety and low self-esteem. Taken treatment. No improvement. Worried? 33 minutes later
Thank you for responding. Are my questions viewed by lots of psychiatrists who can answer them or are you alone assigned to answering my questions? I would appreciate input from multiple doctors like getting a second and third opinion, including from those in the Portland, OR and Tampa, FL locations. Is that possible? I have non-stop anxiety, also.

Sincerely,

XXXX

Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hi, it is possible.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,

If you put another question in the site, I will not answer it again and other doctors will look into it. Best of luck with your process.