Suffer ovarian cyst. Sleep for very long hours. What is happening?

Nov 2013

I have a condition im not sure what's is called. I say this because I sleep for about 5 days off and one before or after my period. sometimes it gets so scary I sleep for 2 days or more straight still feeling tired. no one can wake me. im 31 years old but this has been going on a long time now...years. I suffer ovarian cysts and had 3 surgeries on them. This summer has been difficult I bled for 32 days straight recently and 42 days straight before this with only a week break. I also sweat in my sleep and wake up drenched during this time. Any ideas what this is called?
Posted Sat, 19 Oct 2013 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 20 days later
Brief Answer:
Need to exclude hormonal problems

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I would agree with you that your symptoms are not common, and needs to be investigated in detail to come to a conclusion.

We need to exclude hormonal problems, which could lead to sleep disorder as well as menstrual irregularities. Pineal gland and hypothalamus are involved in maintaining sleep cycle. The hormones involved are melatonin released from pineal gland and hypothalamic hormones. An MRI scan of brain would be able to find out any problems in these glands.

In addition, menstrual irregularities also could be due to imbalance in oestrogen, progesterone, etc. Hormonal assay would help. A test for thyroid profile should also be done.

A sleep study would also be helpful.

Please consult an endocrinologist for further evaluation.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist