Suffer from type2 diabetes and hypertension. Is it safe to take regestrone to postpone periods?

May 2013
Dear Doctor
I need to postpone my periods for the month of August and was advised to start taking Regestrone tablets a week before the period date. I am 46 yrs old and i suffer from type2 diabetes and also hypertension. I have never taken Regestrone before. I want to know if there are any risks involved and also how it will affect my periods after I stop taking the drug. My periods are generally heavy but regular.

Thank you
Posted Tue, 21 Aug 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

according to some studies synthetic progesterone can increase the blood pressure and diabetogenic,
but as you are taking only few tablets for short period that may not have any effect on your health,
but be cautious and monitor your blood pressure and blood sugar levels regularly while being on tablets, and continue to take hypertension and blood sugar tablets.
after stopping the progesterone pills you can get periods within 5 to 7 days,
that may be withdrawal bleeding so that could be comparatively light,
you may have some irregularity in immediate next cycle but it will become normal soon.
you can have few symptoms like nausea, breast tenderness etc as side effects of tablets which will subside after stopping of pills.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.