Sudden hearing loss, scared

I am experiencing sudden hearing loss and am very scared. Please help.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 14 minutes later

I shall address your concern based on your current given information.

Sudden hearing loss - would need clinical and audiological evaluation.

I do not know why you are prescribed Effexor for, but certainly you should have known its major side effect when prescribed by your doctor. You can read it at ( Not to scare you, or to completely ignore your hearing loss, but certain symptoms need to assessed than just writing here for your information and you are one amongst them.

Also, you are taking Amoxicillin, an antibiotic which I too will have to presume for an infection or prophylaxis but have no information from you on that.

You should get in touch with your prescription doctors first before them referring you to and ENT specialist for the right approach.

Nothing to feel scared about, just relax and get on with the appointments.

I hope I have answered your concern on a broad sense, now.

If you have additional questions regarding these recommendations as you prepare to make decision regarding future care, you should not hesitate to contact me.

Wish you Good Health.
Follow-up: Sudden hearing loss, scared 49 minutes later
I am taking Effexor for anxiety but have been for a long time. I was recently diagnosed with a sinus infection and prescribed Amoxicillan for it. My right ear began getting plugged about one week ago (about the same time I starting taking the antibiotic) and has now progressed to the point where I can hear almost nothing and am getting worried. My sinuses are still somewhat plugged and I continue to try and clear them by blowing regularly.
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 11 minutes later
Hi again,
Thanks for the follow up.

In that case, you have nothing major to worry about, as the infection would take time to subside and the collected discharge that is causing the tube in your inner to get blocked would need additional time to get cleared after the successful elimination of the bacteria.

Stick to the course of the antibiotic, and wait for a week or so, whilst continuing moderate salt water (warm) gargling or as advised by your physician.

The hearing will return as your ear gets free from debris.

Wish you good health.