Ask a Urologist   »  

Strong yellow urine, green tinge when I drink more water, overweight, non-smoking, exercising, done health check-up

For some time my urine has been a strong yellow if I don't keep drinking more water than I've had to in the past. When I do drink more water, of course it lightens up, but there is a XXXXXXX tinge.
I'm 64, about 50 lbs overweight, non-smoking, 2 drinks a day, getting plenty of exercise these days, checked out healthwise just last spring.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 2 hours later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     64 year old female
•     Known case of gallstone on CT scan
•     History of yellow urine on decrease water intake
•     On multiple medications: Evista, St. Johns Wort, Liver support, B12
•     Worry related to urine discoloration

In your case possible causes of urine discoloration in order of preference:
•     Due to medicines specially vitamins preparation: In this situation apart from urine discoloration patient does not have any symptom related to urinary tract
•     Urinary tract infection: in this patient has other symptoms like- pain, itching around urethral opening, fever

Final message to you: Do not worry if you do not have other symptoms, continue exercise schedule and drink plenty of water

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Strong yellow urine, green tinge when I drink more water, overweight, non-smoking, exercising, done health check-up 6 hours later
I was concerned about liver involvement. It may sound funny, but my parakeet has green-tinged droppings, and the vet says he's got a liver problem. I thought it might be a sign for me, too. I haven't always taken the best care of myself, or been a moderate drinker. My husband died this year after his liver failed. I just want to be watchful.
You say it might be my supplements. I've been taking them longer than the urine has been XXXXXXX Maybe they take awhile to cause that effect?
At any rate, you're saying my symptoms are not a sign of liver problems, correct?
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 14 hours later
Hello again,

Your concerns are valid. Now there are two possibilities in order of preference in your case as a cause of urine discoloration:

-As you are taking multiple drugs apart from vitamins, it may be a cause for it.

-Liver disease: considering alcohol use, overweight, gallstone and history of liver failure in husband.

To rule out liver causes you may need to visit a Physician for physical examination and laboratory test for liver function.

Hope this information will help you.

Wish you good health.