Stopped taking pills. Started irregular periods. Feeling tired, runny nose, sore breast. PG test negative. Worried

Question
Hello there, i came off the pill 2 and a half months ago. i had my first period 28 days later and then this period came two weeks past the due date. The other night i went to the loo with cramps and i had a gush of watery pink blood, then a watery bright red medium flow with a few little black clots for the next day. today it has gone to pinky light colour. I have also been feeling very tired lately, runny nose but dont have a cold, my breasts are sore with twinges under the armpits and can not lie on my stomach comfortably. I took a pregnancy test at 2 days late and then again at 10 both were neg.
Posted Mon, 13 Aug 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 2 hours later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

Menstrual period occurs generally on the 14th day of ovulation.

Oral contraceptive pills are hormonal pills, and act by suppressing ovulation.

When ovulation is delayed, menstrual period is also delayed.

As you have confirmed with negative pregnancy test results, your symptoms are not due to pregnancy.

Symptoms described by you, other than running nose, can be present due to menstrual period also.

As you can not lie comfortably on your stomach and bleeding is watery, you might be suffering with PID &/or localized infection.

Examination is required for correct diagnosis. In my opinion, you should consult a Gynecologist in person for examination and investigations (if required).

Thank you for posting your query. Hope you found my response to your query informative and helpful.

If you have further concerns in this regard, I would be happy to discuss those with you as well.

With good wishes,

Follow-up: Stopped taking pills. Started irregular periods. Feeling tired, runny nose, sore breast. PG test negative. Worried 53 minutes later
Hello again.
I do not have a PID or localised infection. i had a pap smear done 2 months ago that came back normal and a urine and blood test that was normal too. i have only been with my husband and have yearly std checks..yes i am sexually active and i came off the pill so we could try for a baby. I have one child already and my periods were normal after i had him, i have never had watery periods before.

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 53 minutes later

Welcome again,

It is good that you don't have PID or local infection and your Pap smear is normal.

As your reports are normal and effect of hormonal pills is vanishing, hope that your periods will become normal in due course of time.

For relief from pain you can take Tab. Mefanamic acid-500 thrice a day or whenever required with food for a couple of days.

With good wishes,