Stopped smoking. Have COPD. X-ray showed smoky shadow in lung. Concerned

im a 53 year old ex smoker-stopped 9 months ago-smoked for 37 years-a little side pain when i swim side stroke on right side-new x XXXXXXX shows a smoky shadow in lower right lobe of the lung-dr got out an old xray from 5 years ago that looked similar when i was exposed to a chicken coop-i have copd-the smoky shadow is small and was sent off to radiologist-the shadow i not seen when its a side view but evident in a frontal view-im concerned
Posted Tue, 12 Mar 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 27 minutes later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

Good that you have stopped smoking 9 months before. I request you to stick to it and do not restart in view of your COPD and other problems, which may develop because of smoking.

Do you have pain only on movement or even at rest?

Do you have any other complaints...........? Like weight loss, cough, or fever.

I request you to not to worry. The shadow was present even in your old x XXXXXXX film also.

Please update with the radiologists report also. If the treating doctor has doubts regarding your problem, he may investigate getting a CT scan done etc.

Hope this helps you.
Follow-up: Stopped smoking. Have COPD. X-ray showed smoky shadow in lung. Concerned 17 hours later
thanks-i have no symptoms of fever cough weight loss either-pain is only during rigorous exercise-x XXXXXXX kind of looks like a spider web too
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 19 minutes later

Thanks for your reply.

I think you should wait for the radiologists report. If the report is suggestive of any particular diagnosis then you should be further examined and investigated.

Follow-up: Stopped smoking. Have COPD. X-ray showed smoky shadow in lung. Concerned 4 hours later
thanks for your swift reply-i plan on waiting for the radiologist report,but i was hoping you would suggest what it could possibly be-the xray has a cobweb appearance-i have no symptoms but side pain during heavy exercise-thank you
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 5 hours later

I can understand your apprehension. Perhaps I can be able to shed more light if I could see the X-ray films. If possible please upload the X-ray films here.

In general musculo skeletal problem (like muscle injury) could be the cause of pain with exercise. Lung problems often present with other symptoms including cough, fever, breathing problems, etc. I am glad that you do not have any such symptoms. The fact that your old X-rays also revealed similar shadow is consistent with a benign finding. Hence do not be very concerned.

Please wait for the radiologists report and update me.

Hope this helps.