Stopped smoking. Developed early signs of COPD. Reason for dry cough and shortness of breath?

Geriatrics Specialist
Am 43 male, have been smoking 4-5 cigs a day since past 5 years. Dont smoke on weekends or when I am on a family vacation. Sometimes last year, I managed to quit once as I developed early signs of COPD. Having overcome these signs after some months, I restarted smoking. Since about 2 weeks I have had throat and chest infection, and have been taking medicines from a physician. while all the symptoms are gone, I am left with a XXXXXXX sporadic dry cough from my chest. I cough some 5-6 times a day, but it is a XXXXXXX long one that will last almost 1-2 minutes. No mucous. I also started feeling shortness of breath, especially for 2 hours after lunch. Important point to note - I have not smoked since last 4 days. not sure if the cough and shortness of breath are its side effects, as rest of the original throat infection symptoms are gone.
Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Surendiran Gaj 36 minutes later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing to us,
Even though you havent smoked in the last 4 days, it does not rule out smoking as the predominant cause of these symptoms.
Dry cough and breathlessness can be present with various respiratory conditions, such as asthma, bronchitis, COPD(chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) etc.
Dry cough are usually suppressed with codeine syrups twice daily , but this offers only symptomatic relief, you need to find out the underlying disease.
Breathlessness is associated with lot of conditions, it is advisable to do an X XXXXXXX chest and pulmonary function test to know the extent of damage to your lung.
Quit smoking and consult an physician and get treated ,before your condition worsens further.
Let me know if you have further questions,