Stopped birth control pills, did not get periods, negative pregnancy test. Due to stopping pills?

Excellent

Question
I stopped taking my bc pills in May and while I did get my XXXXXXX and July period (though only 20 & 25 days apart), I did not get it in August or to-date. I don't know if this could be due to me stopping the bc pills or if I should be concerned. I took a home pregnancy test which is negative.
Posted Sat, 22 Sep 2012 in Birth Control

Answered by Dr. Rajeev Chavda 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query. I am happy to address your questions, it's not uncommon of not getting your periods, some women go a few months before getting a period again after stopping the pill. The hormone withdrawal bleeds you were getting whilst taking it have now stopped and your body will be finding its own natural cycle dependent on the hormones which you produce. It is likely that your periods will regulate themselves over the next 2-3 months. However, if there is any possibility of pregnancy you need to repeat the test after few weeks. If your test is again negative and you have no symptoms of early pregnancy, such as nausea or breast tenderness, would then recommend you to talk to your doctor again if no period should occur even after 2 months. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help. Thanks

Follow-up: Stopped birth control pills, did not get periods, negative pregnancy test. Due to stopping pills? 8 hours later
Thank you for your reply. I had heard that it was not uncommon to not get periods for awhile after stopping bc, however I did receive 2 periods after stopping the bc but just not the most recent month (August). Do you mean that the XXXXXXX and July periods I received after stopping in May were actual withdrawal bleeds?

Answered by Dr. Rajeev Chavda 13 hours later
Thanks for your kind response, the response of stopping bc is quite varied and could be that after stopping it your body responded with withdrawal bleeds and as I mentioned earlier it is likely that your periods will regulate themselves over the next 2-3 months. However, if there is any possibility of pregnancy kindly repeat the test after few weeks. If your test is again negative and you have no symptoms of early pregnancy, such as nausea or breast tenderness, would then recommend you to talk to your doctor again if no period should occur even after 2 months. If you have no further clarifications, will request you to kindly close the query and rate it. Thanks