Stood quickly and looked down. Feeling dizzy. Feeling unsteady and stressed. What can be done?

May 2014

I stood up quickly and looked down. My eyes immediately went cross eyed and I couldn't uncross. Although I didn't necessarily feel dizzy , not being able to focus was making me feel unsteady and stressed.
It lasted about 45 seconds...but unsteady feeling lasted 10 min. Not sure if that was because it scared me or because I felt unsteady, like dizzy. Not typical dizziness. Drank water immediately. Head felt heavy up to 20 min after
Posted Wed, 10 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.

As you have mentioned, it started with you getting up quickly and all of a sudden eyes got crossed followed by unsteadiness.

Such symptoms are to be dealt with care.

You may be having an episode of transient ischemic attack , vasovagal syncopal attack, mild stroke, partial seizure, hypoglycemia or electrolyte imbalance.

Whatever the cause, you must consult an XXXXXXX medicine or a neurologist immediately. Please explain to them the exact sequence of events.

They may ask you to get CT Scan, MRI scan to know that everything in yoyr brain is alright. A fee blood tests may also be done. If desired, carotid and vertrbral artery Doppler study may also be done.

Hope this helps.
Dr Vivek