Stomach pain, no vomiting or diarrhea, no appetite, gas pressure, have eaten shish kebab

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi i'm 35 years old 180 pounds. For the last 2 days i've had stomach pain with no vomiting or diarrhea and no real appetite. I've had a lot of gas pressure and stomach growling. 3 days ago I ate some shiskobob and felt the stomach growling and gas the next day.
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 18 minutes later

According to your history you could be having food poisoning or Gastroenteritis.

In such cases, vomiting, diarrhoea and sometimes loss of appetite is experienced by the patient.

The gas accumulating in the abdomen and increased peristaltic movements cause abdominal distention and discomfort.

You need to avoid spicy, oily food, alcohol at all costs. Eat soft, bland, cool food like yoghurt, curds, plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Drink plenty of home available fluids like water, dilute lemon juice with sugar.

Best fluid to rehydrate in such cases of diarrhoea and vomiting will be WHO-Oral Rehydration Solution. You should mix one XXXXXXX of WHO-ORS in one litre of previously boiled and cooled water. You can drink how much ever ORS as needed. Since you are vomiting you can take the ORS and other fluids in sips.

In most cases food poisoning will subside in couple of days with proper supportive therapy but if the symptoms are increasing, presence of rice-water like stools, any blood in stools or vomit and jaundice, increasing weakness and inability to drink etc. will require urgent medical intervention.

Avoid taking any medicine without Doctor's advice. You can take anti-emetic medication to reduce vomiting after consulting with your technique before eating food. Try as much to avoid eating at roadside vendors places as they could be contaminated.

Do consult your Doctor and get a complete evaluation including blood test, stool test to find out the type of infection which will help in medical management of the disease.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Follow-up: Stomach pain, no vomiting or diarrhea, no appetite, gas pressure, have eaten shish kebab 2 hours later
Is it possible to have food poisoning with no diarhea and vomiting?
Today I feel a little better, no pain when i eat or drink and no gas but still low appetite.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 3 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Food poisoning must be subsiding which is why you do not have the vomiting and diarrhoea.

Keep well hydrated. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables.

Practice proper handwashing procedures.

Since your abdomen has been involved in severe infection it needs time to regenerate fully, so avoid spicy food, sauces etc. It will take a few days for your appetite to return to normal for which you will need to slowly introduce normal food, bland food preferred. Food XXXXXXX in protein will help in faster recovery and this will enable earlier return of appetite.

If your condition does not improve in few days, you can consult with your Doctor to get evaluated for persistent infection, possible liver pathology etc.