Ask a Dentist   »  

Stinging sensation in taste buds, bleeding while brushing, turning pale. Due to coxsackie virus?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, I am a 24 year old female. My child was diagnosed with coxsackie virus 3 months back. I figured it was contagious and we all had the virus, however this is my problem but my problem has lasted for over 2 months. Within the last 2 months, I've gotten very uncomfortable stinging tastebuds. The location is pretty sporadic. Earlier when brushing my teeth, I brushed my tongue and the taste buds started bleeding. The thing is, when looking at my tongue, it looks completely normal, and its hard to point out specific taste buds that are hurting. Some are more pink if I irritate them, and some turn a white color.. It feels as though I burned my tongue really bad, only, I haven't. I got blood drawn to get tested for hsv1 and 2, however my results were negative.. what else could it be??? it comes and goes in different spots. every few days. Idk what else to do. Noone seems to be able to diagnose me.
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The uncomfortable stinging sensation in the taste buds along with bleeding can be due to -
1)Thrush:It is a yeast infection in the oral cavity commonly seen after such viral infections.
2)Vitamin deficiency.
3)Poor oral hygiene is also a cause.
All these are just speculations, only after a thorough history and proper examination a diagnosis can be made.
Meanwhile drink lots of water.
Avoid smoking and caffeinated drinks as tea and coffee.
Have lots of yoghurt in diet.
Start taking a multivitamin supplement.
If the symptoms are persistent then you might consider visiting a dentist for examination of the oral cavity to rule out any infection.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.