Ask a Urologist   »  

Stinging sensation in penis, treated for candida. History of jock itch and viral cold

For the past 4 months I have been having an almost constant stinging sensation in my penis (more specifically the area where the foreskin attaches to the penis itself) I had tests done about 2 months ago and they found some bacteria and candida. I was given pills to cure both and then I was intensely treated for candida (3 x pills in 9 days then 1 a week for 2 weeks) on top of the 3 I had already as a result of the tests.

The stinging sensation / dull burning as it is now is there almost daily and still hasnt gone away.

Throughout all of this I seem to have developed (self diagnosed) an irritable bowel and on days the stinging is worse when my symptoms are worse.

Before this I had a case of Jock Itch and a viral head cold that seemed to last from Dec-Feb.
Posted Sun, 26 Aug 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Vineet Malhotra 14 hours later
Thanks for your query

Your symptoms are suggestive of a fungal infection affecting the prepuce,though you have received treatment for the same.
Occasionally, an XXXXXXX infection (urinary), may produce such symptoms.
I need to know your urinalysis and ultrasound report.

You could try tablet flavoxate 200mg thrice a day and a urinary alkaliser for relief of symptoms.

I hope i have answered your query.
I will be happy to answer any further queries that you may have.
Dr Vineet Malhotra
Follow-up: Stinging sensation in penis, treated for candida. History of jock itch and viral cold 3 hours later
Hi, I did have blind treatment for a urinary tract infection and I did have an ultrasound which came back all clear. Urine samples too have come back clear.

Does this help?

Answered by Dr. Vineet Malhotra 4 hours later
Thanks for your response.

Since your reports were essentially normal, i would suggest you to start the medications advised by me previously.
If you do not respond to the same, we can investigate further with uroflowmetry.

Dr Vineet Malhotra