Stiffness and pain in the neck. Excessive travelling. Permanent cure?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I have been suffering from neck pain from the past few months. Because of this I dont have the complete freedom to rotate my head in all directions. The pain was severe on the left side. I did some regular exercise based on an doctors input and the pain reduced, but my neck is kind of stiff and the pain goes and comes very often.

The possible reasons are due to travelling in bus for about 3 hours everyday and working on desk for about 8 hours everyday. But I can not avoid both.

So how do overcome this permanently.
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 3 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

Pain in neck at your age is not uncommon. A few precautions can save you a lot of trouble in future. Since you cannot avoid your 8 hours of desk job and 3 hours of bus journey, I suggest you use a soft cervical collar. An appropriate posture can help prevent further deterioration of cervical spine.

Avoid using a pillow, unless turning on sides while sleeping. Take frequent stretch breaks while working on desk. Go to a physiotherapist near you for cervical traction and SWD for a week. The exercises that you do must be done in a complete absence of pain. So make sure you are pain free before you do those. And learn neck isometric exercises if you are doing any other.

If it is persistent pain, visit your orthopaedician and investigate it. Start with an xray. If you have pain radiating to one side associated with occasional tingling numbness, you might require an MRI too. Ask your doctor for a course of antiinflammatory medicines with a muscle relaxant.

Hope you benefit from this answer and get rid of the situation completely. If you need more help, I'm available for follow up.
Good luck.