after 15 g of amoxacylin (?) and steroids after an operation, my guts have never normalized. (18 months) I've tried everything. Now it smells like ammonia, with what looks like "jelly fish" although it's probably just mucous. I've been advised to do daily miralax and enemas, with the next step a colonoscopy (one 7 years ago was clean) 66, Male, and in generally good health, no meds, active.
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 44 hours later

Constipation since childhood is usually secondary to -
1) Muscle and nerve problems leading to hypomotility
2) Endocrine problems like hypothyroidism
3) Ultrashort segment Hirschsprung's disease

All these problems can be exacerbated by Diabities mellitus and associated dysmotility and bacterial over growth
Mucus in stools in a constipated patient could be secondary to -
1) Solitary rectal ulcer syndrome
2) Fissure and hemorrhoids
3) Irritation of enemas

At your age you also have to consider polyps
Antibiotic use can alter normal bacterial flora and cause mucus in stools. Secondary lactose (milk) intolerence may add to the symptoms and smell.

Please get stool examination, colonoscopy and a fasting thyroid profile and consult a GI for further help

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.