Stents placed for ischaemic heart disease got blocked and were replaced. Taking Plavix and Metoprolol. Should I have a pacemaker?

Cardiologist, Interventional
Question
I had five stents placed in January for ischaemic heart disease. Yesterday three of the five were blocked and replaced. I have been on Plavix all along, my heart rate is 40/min on Metoprolol 25mg bd. Should I have a pacemaker, Coreg instead of metoprolol?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 6 hours later
I need some more information before I answer your query. What is in your ECG, if your heart rythm is sinus rythm than just stopping metaprolol would suffice or using it smaller dose. If it shows anything like Comlete heart block than you would need pacemaker after stopping betablockers and observing for few days.
Do you have any giddiness or syncope.
In the given situation I do not see any advantage or need for switing to carvidelol/COreg.
Please get back to me with details.
Thanks and regards

Follow-up: Stents placed for ischaemic heart disease got blocked and were replaced. Taking Plavix and Metoprolol. Should I have a pacemaker? 13 minutes later
Sinus bradycardia with PVCs.

Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 33 minutes later
Than reducing dose of the betablockers or stopping should help but please do it with consultation from your treating cardiologist