Stay in Brazil, surrounding people often get abscess that ooze later. How can I prevent my family from contracting it?

Dermatologist
Question
I recently moved to Brazil with my 2 children and husband. Many people here get what I think are abcesses, they start as a red irritated area and grow and then people cut them or wait for them to burst and puss comes out. Often a single person has 8 of them come one after another. I have never seen anyone in the USA with abcesses in the frequency I see them here. Why do people have them so often, how can I prevent my family from getting them?
Posted Thu, 6 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
From the description it seems you are talking about cutaneous leishmaniasis which is endemic in Brazil. It is characterised by red skin rashes which become indurated and then ulcerate eventually to heal with scar formation.
Leishmaniasis is a parasite infestation caused by sandfly bite.

No drugs or vaccines are available to prevent the same. These measures are usually advised to prevent the same
Avoid outdoor activity after dusk to prevent sandfly bite
Wear protective clothing. Wear full sleeved clothes
Use mosquito nets with very thin mesh.
Apply insect repellents over exposed body parts
Treat your home with pyrethroid based insecticides.

As it is endemic in brazil, a consultation with local doctor would give a better insight of disease and modes of prevention available over there.

Hope that helped. Should there be any other query, please write back.

Follow-up: Stay in Brazil, surrounding people often get abscess that ooze later. How can I prevent my family from contracting it? 18 hours later
Why does the same person get multiple "tumors" as they call them here. My nephew (2 years old) had about 20 of them on his legs, one after another, for about 2 months. My daughter (also 2 years old) had one on her toe after she hit it with a door, it swelled and was hot and then we had to cut it to let it drain. I'm pretty sure they didn't get bitten by anything, and my nephew definately didn't get bitten 20 times.

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 25 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
Before I go further with this discussion, I would like you to know that the diagnosis suggested is based on the description provided and the endemicity of the same in Brazil. However the diagnosis can only be confirmed with proper tests and clinical examination.
Now to clear your doubts
Multiple bites are not required to cause multiple tumours. The causative agent of this disease is a Protozoa which infests sand fly. So when sand fly bites, this Protozoa gets transferred to human body and presents as number of cutaneous ( skin) lesions.
Sand flies are too small, so it is not necessary that you will catch a sandfly in action! In fact most of the times these mostly escape notice.

Now as your nephew and daughter both had similar lesions. I would advise that you consult a local doctor to get the lesions examined, so that a proper diagnosis is made and appropriate treatment be suggested. Leishmaniasis needs a proper cure.

Hope that helped. Take care

Follow-up: Stay in Brazil, surrounding people often get abscess that ooze later. How can I prevent my family from contracting it? 33 hours later
I looked up Leishmaniasis and I don't think I have ever seen this. These rumors do not leave a scar, but thank you for your response.

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 30 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
As dermatology is completely a visual field, I would really appreciate if you could attach an image of concerned lesions so that I can help you in a better way. The possibility of leishmaniasis was only suggested based on description provided.
Hoping to hear from you soon.