Can someone get lymphoma if CT scan shows enlarged lymph node on the spleen ?

my sister in law was hospitalized due to flu like symptoms, vomiting dizziness when turning head to one side. After many scans to the braing and ear scans, they found an infection to the middle ear. After she was treated for middle ear infection she was released home. over the time she was sick and in hospital she lost lots of weight, lost apetite. No sweating or fever. After she was released from hospital, she started to eat normaly however she experienced lots of burping. Having concern about that she went and got sonogram of the abdomen area. The Songoram showed enlarged lymph node on the spleen and enlarged spleen. Ct scan confirmed the same thing. she does not have any other swollen lymph nodes elsewere. The blood work showed mild anemia. Does this mean that she deffenetley have some type of lymphoma? or it can be something else. She is scheduled to have the spleen removed. Your answer will be very appreciated. thank you!
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 8 hours later
Hi Nurten,

The dizziness when the head turned is probably due to vestibular apparatus defect which could have attained due to middle ear infection.It can be well controlled by medication for which she may have to be examined by a ENT for confirmation of the diagnosis and determining the dosage and the class of the drug suitable for the same.

Well the splenomegaly is a nonspecific clinical finding , it can be seen in various causes like thalassemia,visceral leishmaniasis (kala-azar),schistosomiasis,Malaria,,hairy cell leukemia,myelofibrosis,polycythemia vera,Gauchers disease,,sarcoidosis, lymphoma etc and you ruled out lymphoma by revealing the fact that there are no other lymph nodes anywhere in the body and the blood counts being normal ( except anemia = not significant ) .Hence, I do not consider lymphoma as a likely possibility here unless examined by a health professional for the lymph nodes.

Splenectomy ( removal of spleen ) is one treatment modality for such a presentation of spleen but a detailed clinical and laboratory work up has to be done to sort out the cause for the same.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.