Staunch alcoholic. Developed liver cirrhosis. Suggest proper diagnosis

My husband is a staunch alcoholic from last twenty years...Now his condition is getting worst,he is creating chaos,developed liver cirrhosis and under teartmen of best available gastroentologist but he is not responding to the advice given by doctors.please guide will NIMHANS BANG LORE (it is suggested by some of my friends) be helpful in any manner,if yes than where and whom to contact ?
Posted Tue, 30 Oct 2012 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 7 hours later
Hi and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your question...

I understand your concern and worry regarding your husband's alcohol problem. Since he has already developed serious medical complications, it is very important that he stops his drinking habit, else he would be putting his life at risk.

Now, NIMHANS, Bangalore is a very renowned institution which has a separate and dedicated department for addiction disorders. They offer a variety of treatment options, both on an in-patient as well as out-patient basis. Since you have mentioned that he has not paid heed to the advise of his doctors so far and since his motivation seems low, I think that the best option for him would be an intense in-patient therapy.

Treatment usually involves two stages. First is the de-toxification stage where treatment is mainly aimed at reducing the withdrawal effects after stopping alcohol and also addressing his nutritional and medical status. The second stage is de-addiction. This stage of treatment is mainly aimed at helping the person stay off alcohol and preventing relapses. There are various techniques used - usually a combination of medication and counselling. There are medication which can reduce his 'craving' (i.e. uncontrollable urge to take alcohol) as well as certain medication which serve as an 'aversion' to take alcohol. There are many counselling / psychotherapy techniques which will enhance his motivation and teach him strategies to prevent relapses.

So I would advise you to somehow motivate him to see a psychiatrist and preferably, ungergo an in-patient de-addiction programme. In my personal opinion, NIMHANS is a good choice and is well equipped and has dedicated professionals.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist