Started with periods with spotting. Normal for first time? Should I go for medication?

Hi, My daughter is aged 12 years and she started off with her periods 3 days back. However, she is only having slight spottings and flow is not normal. She had spottings for all 3 days. I am worried and I wanted to know if we need to have her examined or any kind of medication is needed? or is this normal for the first time? Will she have normal periods henceforth and should I take any precautions for her to have normal periods.
Your help is much appreciated.
Posted Mon, 29 Jul 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 9 hours later

At the time of menarche (i,e when periods starts), a kind of hormonal changes occur in a body which can lead to this kind of problem. This hormonal changes usually normalizes on its own over a period of 6 months to a year.

Therefore do not worry, just maintain menstrual calender of your daughter. It's a time when you should give her good diet XXXXXXX in iron and calcium like green leafy vegetables, fruits, pulses, milk and milk products. In my opinion she does not required any medicine at present.

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Best wishes