Started spotting after period. No itching, burning or foul smell. Sign of an infection?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Hi, My last period ended 2 weeks ago and it was an abnormal period. I didn't have cramps and it was very light and more of a brownish in color lasting about 7 days usually it's only 5. Now for the last couple of days I have been spotting and it's a brown color. The last time I had sex was over 3 months ago and I'm just concerned maybe it's some sort of infection. I have no other symptoms, no itching, burning, or foul smell.
Posted Wed, 6 Mar 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later

This is nothing to worry about. It is common for young girls to have irregular periods. This means that it can last few days more or less. Also the intensity of bleeding is variable too.
Symptoms aren't always the same. It depends on hormonal balance which is each time you have period different.

If you wasn't sexually active then spotting is a sign of hyperactivity of ovarian and uterine mucosa.
This is not something to be concerned. If you feel bloated, have lower abdominal pain with fever or excessive vaginal bleeding then you need to visit the hospital as soon as you can.

Of course sometimes there is a particular cause of irregular bleeding such as polycystic ovaries, hormonal fluctuations, starting, stopping, or missing oral contraceptives or estrogens,low thyroid levels,certain drugs, stress, eating disorders and excessive exercise, but you should think of it only if your symptoms progress and persist at least 3 months.

Brown blood means nothing serious. It is a sign that blood has been metabolized in the uterus. As you said you have no any sign of infection. Irregular period is a rare sign of infection. If you notice discharge or burning sensation and sharp pain in pelvis then you should consider infection.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.