Started shuffling while walking. What is the problem?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
My wife is 76 and has begun shuffling while walking. What could be the cause?
Posted Wed, 16 Jan 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 57 minutes later

Your's wife shuffling might be due to Parkinson’s disease, It is a chronic, progressive degenerative disease of the brain which impairs motor control, speech and other functions. It is one of the movement disorders. It occurs due to loss of dopamine producing brain cells.

I would suggest getting this evaluated by a physician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.