Started elliptic seizures after brain stroke, took medicine. CT Scan and EEG normal. On Eption. Can plan pregnancy?

Neurologist, Surgical
Question
I started to have elliptic seizures after brain stroke 4 years back. All medicine for the brain stroke and clot are over. My CT Scan can EEG reports are fine. But i am having Eption 300 mg for seizures. And now am planning to have baby. Please suggest should i wait for the course of eption to complete or its fine to conceive now.
Posted Fri, 18 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Praveen K Nath 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Cerebral deep vein thrombosis

Detailed Answer:
Dear ma,am
Hello

Cerebral deep vein thrombosis in a young girl with seizures is not so common
May I suggest

1 . you can definitely plan for a baby . you need to continue with anti-convulsant medications either eptoin /some other medicine under neurologist guidance.

2 you need to check with your neurologist to look into the cause of your previous deep vein thrombosis. Was there any coagulation changes / due to some medication?

3 deep vein cerebral thrombosis is more common during later stages of pregnancy, so keep in touch with your gynaecologist & neurologist

My best wishes for a speedy recovery

Thanks
Dr Praveen K Nath
Director
Deptt of neurosurgery

Follow-up: Started elliptic seizures after brain stroke, took medicine. CT Scan and EEG normal. On Eption. Can plan pregnancy? 18 hours later
Thanks Dr. XXXXXXX

All following causes were ruled out:

1. Any kind of contraceptive or abortion medication. In fact i was not using any kind of regular medications at that time.
2. Any stage of pregnancy or abortion.
3. Known injury to brain, that led to exhaustion.
4. Extreme dehydration episode.

After diagnosis of brain stroke, a severe infection in my throat was also diagnosed. My Mantoux test was positive with 15mm but chest xray was clean, so, TB was ruled out. My neurologist was well informed about those tests and medications. Though no connection was established.
My family has history of brain strokes and high blood pressures:
1. My Grand Father had brain stroke and was paralyzed 12 years before death.
2. Paternal aunt 1. had two episodes of stroke and paralysis, one at young age 35.
3. Paternal aunt 2. stroke at the age of 65.
4. My Cousin brain stroke and paralysis at the age of 26.

But there was no established reason for the stroke.

Well i don't have any problem now, even i have not had any seizures from last 2.5 years (after the start of eption). I got married 6 months back, and am not using any kind of contraceptive medications.

Dr. are you suggesting than the re occurrence of stroke is feasible during pregnancy and i should take care of it. This information will be very helpful in planning my first pregnancy. And am great full for the information you have already provided.

Answered by Dr. Praveen K Nath 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
cerebral venous thrombosis

Detailed Answer:
Dear ma,am
Hello
my best wishes for you always
its good to listen that there was no obvious cause for venous thrombosis in your case .
few cases of cerebral venous thrombosis are IDIOPATHIC where no cause could be established .
i would suggest
1. you can plan for baby right now or may be better after completing three years of treatment with eptoin .
eptoin may be gradually stopped if no fits for loast three years ,

2. even if pregnancy comes before that it is very well managed with regular blood levels of eptoin ,checked every three months & maintaining eptoin doses at lowest minimum dose

3 keep your COAGULATION PROFILE/ SERUM HOMOSYSTINE LEVELS / LIPID PROFILE /Hb/ HEMATOCRIT checked every 6 months

4regular follow up with gynecologist/neurologist will be needed during pregnancy

thanx
dr XXXXXXX k XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Started elliptic seizures after brain stroke, took medicine. CT Scan and EEG normal. On Eption. Can plan pregnancy? 43 minutes later
Thanks you very much Dr.

Answered by Dr. Praveen K Nath 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
thanx

Detailed Answer:
dear ma,am
hi again
you are always welcome for any querry
may god bless you with a healthy baby in near future

thanx
dr XXXXXXX k XXXXXXX