Square shaped discoloration on the abdomen. No injury. No pain. Causes?

Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
I have a square shaped discoloration on my abdomen. It is about 3inches directly above my navel, and it is about 2 inches long, 1 inch high. No pain, no itching. I've had no trauma. It just appeared a week or so ago.

What could this be?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 3 hours later
Hi!,

Thank you for posting the query,

I understood your problem however it would be good if you can answer few of my queries:
1) Did this patch appear after you had taken any medication for some thing( like a pain killer etc) ?
2) Do you feel any thickened skin or hardness underneath the patch?
3) Have you used any deodorant or perfume over the area off late ?
4) Do you have any kind of allergy to any food item?

I shall address your concern based on your current given information.
With history what you have submitted ,there seems to be two possibilities.

Firstly it seems to be a Fixed drug eruption(FDE),which usually occurs after intake of any medication .It is nothing but a allergic reaction to a drug.

Secondly ,if there is any thickening of skin underneath,then there is a possibility of some thing known as Localized Morphea .

Its difficult to get rid off a FDE patch ,but for Morphea you can use a steroid cream or injections of steroid over the lesions .

But if you can reply me with the answers to my above questions , I would be able to suggest you better.

Awaiting for your reply.
Dr.Bharat chawda XXXXXXX specialist, Dermatology.

Follow-up: Square shaped discoloration on the abdomen. No injury. No pain. Causes? 5 hours later
Dr. Chawda,

No, no medications. However I am receiving weekly acupuncture treatment to deal with stress.

There is no thickened skin or any hardness. the only noticeable thing is that some areas are red and some more dark brownish (I'd say color of dried blood). There is no pain on palpation, the skin is smooth, and it doesn't feel irritated at all.

No deodorant or perfume, just coconut oil to moisturize my skin. I have regularly used coconut oil as an all body skin moisturizer for over 2 years.

No known allergies.

Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 14 hours later
Hi!,

Thank you for the reply,

According to the details provided there are two possibilities.

One as I had mentioned in my last reply that the lesion could be a FDE .This is usually following a drug (even though there is no obvious history from your side).An FDE as the name suggest is fixed for life and is difficult to get rid off .

The other possibility could be Ecchymosis ,since you mentioned that it appears red and bluish at places .This usually happens after a trauma/pressure or when any patient is taking a blood thinner (like aspirin or disprin ,anti-platelet drugs etc).This would resolve on its own or you can even apply thrombophob ointment over it.This is a very benign condition .

I would advise not to panic since both the conditions are very benign ,but for confirmation you can consult a dermatologist at your place .

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.