Spinal arthritis, disc problems, pain due to exercising. Taking advil medication. Treatment options?

have spinal arthritis..x XXXXXXX by ortho surgeon...also some disc involvement..back pain worse when standing...pain is radiating to left side feels very sore..actually both sides but left side worse...dr, explained that the pain i am feeling there is from pulled muscle due to an exercise i was doing ..which was leaning and putting all my weight on left side..and holding that position..and also twisting my the extreme left...this has been going on for 2 months...went for physical therapy 2x..yes helped..but made me do certain exercises that hurt me more..did not go back..advil seems to help more then ant.inflammatory prescription..went to gyno try for a check up..everything normal..ortho doc said will take a while but will go away..when i lay on left side feels very sore..explained the spine has nerves and muscles that extend is a problem with L4..L5..and also arthritis in neck..
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 50 minutes later

You have done a good job by visiting the right doctor for your problem. But the ongoing issue is, you are not being relieved of the back pain.

I suggest you the following options which you can use.

1. Opiod based analgesics

These are strong painkillers which help releive pain. But their pain disadvantages are that they are addictive when used on long term basis and also cause constipation in some people. They are very effective. Please ask your doctor if you can be on them.

2. Ultra sound therapy

It is done by some physiotherapists. They are very effective in arthritis patients. They send ultra sound beams into the painful area and help sooth the nerves. There are no side effects and help to a certain extent.

3. Hot packs/ Infra red beams.

Traditional and effective. They can be applied when you have these acute pains. They will bring down the pain to a certain extent but they do tend to come back as the pathology is not taken care of. Infra red beams are machines which are sold in pharmacies. They are not expensive. They work on the same concept as hot packs and are less messy.

4. Massages

They are effective. They help by relaxing the muscle and also the tendons.
I should warn you that it should only be done by qualified people. Otherwise it will become worse.

5. Topical anti inflammatory agents

Diclofenac and aceclofenac comes in a gel and spray form which can be applied over the sore area. They are effective but not as long lasting as oral medicines. They do have lesser side effects as well.

6. Acupuncture

I have seen many people seek wonderful effects after acupuncture. Please go to a renowned specialist as wrong techniques can cause serious harm.

For now, I suggest you not to engage in any physical activities like weight lifting. Regular walks are more than enough exercise. Give ample rest to the area. Have a positive attitude, it definitely augments your recovery.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.

I wish you a speedy recovery.