Sore throat, difficulty in swallowing, body ache, chest pain on deep breathing. Serious?

Hey, my throat is very sore and it hurts to swallow. I originally blamed this on me singing a 15 song set list on Guitar Hero the night before, but now I'm feeling hot and cold. My body has also been aching for the past week and I'm feeling it again. It also feels really weird in my chest when I take a deep breath. I also tend to be a drama queen so I don't know if I should take it seriously haha.
Posted Sun, 26 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 31 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

Your query, the description and refreshing sense of humor have both contributed. Coming down to your description, as your symptoms have occurred quite suddenly, lasted for more than a week, and do not match symptoms of voice abuse (due to the singing), we could assume the cause to be infectious.

In assuming so, we would first consider an upper doctor, who will examine your oral cavity, and if you are expectorating sputum, a sputum analysis would also benefit.

So you could relate to the current diagnosis, let me list a few of the most common symptoms of a URTI (bacterial or viral source):
-Sensation of a lump in the throat
-Difficulty swallowing
-Pain while swallowing
-Difficulty in speech (severe cases)
-Cough (dry or with sputum)
-Pain, discomfort or burning sensation in the chest
-Chills (rare)
-Loss of appetite or no taste in the mouth

Of course, not all symptoms need to be present in one individual, as response and immunity varies from person-to-person.

I would thus request you to visit your doctor and get examined. Treatment usually includes antibiotic or anti-viral therapy (depending on the source), pain management medication, and an antiseptic mouthwash. You should be perfectly fine within 2-3 days of initiation of therapy.

In the meantime, stick to warm liquids, and keep yourself hydrated. I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications. I would gladly help you.

Wishing you a speedy recovery and a beautiful life thereafter.

Best wishes.