What is the suggested medication for sudden fever with nasal congestion and cold symptoms?

I had normal cold symptoms for about two weeks, at which point I was just coughing now and then -- with no other symptoms. At that point, my temperature unexpectedly went to 103 with nasal congestion. I don't know whether these ailments are related, or are just coincidence (i.e., one infection following another), but I am interested in knowing whether antibiotics, if any, would be within the real of possible treatments. It's Saturday night and I cannot reach my doctor, so I am asking you.
Posted Fri, 10 Jan 2014 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Flu or Bacterial infection. Antivirals or Antibiot Detailed Answer: Hello, Usually cold does not go beyond a week or 10 days. Most commonly cold is not associated with very high fever as you had. I suspect you may have either flu or bacterial infection. If you have preexisting problems like allergy, asthma or other immune disorders, cold may there for more than a week. If your symptoms getting worse than earlier, ie. shortness of breath, severe body pain, we can suspect flu. For these, we recommend antiviral drugs like Tamiflu. If we suspect a bacterial infection, we will start antibiotics like cefixime, azithromycin or roxithromycin. Both Tamiflu and antibiotics helps in decreasing the course of illness and symptoms. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.