Sonography normal. Need to take folinine tablet and niftas tablet if planing for a child?

Question
Q : My name is XXXXXXX.Iam 28 years female. Married for last 2 years.We are planning for baby. We had done a normal check with a near by doctor a sonography and all is well. My question is do we have to take folinine tablet and niftas tablet if planing for a child. My weight is 65 and height is 5.3.
Please advise
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Getting Pregnant

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Folinine is a folic acid tablet and should be taken regularly when you are planning for a baby as it prevents the neural tube defects in a developing fetus.

Niftas contains nitrofurantoin and is given to control pregnancy while taking Niftas. You may plan for pregnancy in your menstrual cycle after completing this course.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Sonography normal. Need to take folinine tablet and niftas tablet if planing for a child? 43 hours later
Hi Doctor,

Another question is how many mg folic acid should i take daily. I mean in take should be one tablet everyday till the pregnancy gets confirmed.So i can take folic acid.My last periods was on 3 XXXXXXX till 10 janso when should we have sex. how do we come to know whether i fall in 28 cycle or 35 day cycle

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

Folic acid is advised in a dose of 5mg daily till the 12 weeks of pregnancy. You need to start taking it from the time you are planning your pregnancy.

The number of days between the periods determines the length of your menstrual cycle. In a regular 28 day cycle, day 11 to day 16 are considered as fertile days. Presuming your cycle length as 28 days, the fertile days would be from 14th XXXXXXX to 19th XXXXXXX

Hope my answer is helpful. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries. Should you have any addition queries, I shall be available to help you.

Wish you good health

Follow-up: Sonography normal. Need to take folinine tablet and niftas tablet if planing for a child? 21 hours later
ok so i can take Folinine tablet of 400mcg or 5mg till the pregnancy confirmed right.I had asked in pharmacy yesterday for folic acid but it was not available so can i take Folinine tablet.Please advise

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 36 minutes later

Yes, you can take Folinine tablet and continue taking it until after the pregnancy is confirmed i.e. for first 3 months of pregnancy without fail.

Best wishes.