Pregnant, started Wanbury folinine. Before pregnancy was taking Amway Nutrilite. Side effect?

Hello Doctor, my wife is now at 12th week pregnancy. As per doctor suggestion She started Folic acid "WANBURY Folinine" tablet which contains folic acid IP 5mg per capsule.
Before pregnancy she was using Amway NutriLite daily tablet and she is continuing even now, which has folic acid 400mcg per tablet. I am worried that this will lead to excess folic acid or any other side effects ? please help
Posted Wed, 23 Oct 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Don't be worried. One Folinine tab is sufficient.

Detailed Answer:

First thing, folic acid supplement is much needed for all pregnant women in the first trimester (up to 12 weeks) as it helps in the development of better fetal nervous system and prevents neural tube defects (like spina bifida etc).

Daily recommended dose of folic acid tablet is 400 mcg while women are trying to get pregnant and continue up to 12 weeks.

Some women have an increased risk of having a pregnancy affected by a neural tube defect and are advised to take a higher dose of 5 mg of folic acid each day until they are 12 weeks pregnant. These include:

1) Previous pregnancy affected by a neural tube defect
2) diabetes or have family history of NTD
3) very overweight or BMI over 30
4) taking anti-epileptic drugs concurrently.

Above things are common consideration for higher doses. However, we prefer higher doses in the first trimester pregnancy to avoid NTD or other birth defect.
It is widely recommended. So, you don't need to be worried about higher doses of folic acid as body demand is increased by both mother & developing fetus in pregnancy in comparison to non-pregnant state.

Lastly, I suggest that one Folinine tablet is quite sufficient to combat daily requirement and there is no need of additional Nutrilite tablet. However, intake of above two folic acid tab does not cause any side effect during pregnancy.

Hope, above said information is sufficient & very much helpful. Let me know, if you need any clarification.

Wish her good health and take successful motherhood.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through