Sonogram shows prominent fatty liver. What are the risks ?

Hello, my wife just got results from two sonograms. The abdominal sonogram was normal except for "the liver is prominent and somewhat fatty inflitrated with no obvious focal lesions XXXXXXX Impression: prominent fatty liver, otherwise normal study XXXXXXX The neck sonogram indicated "a well defined nodule is seen in the lower right lobe with a similar 3mm structure in the same area, with a similar 3mm structure in the same area. A probable dilated colloid follicle of 2mm is seen in the upper left lobe. The right nodular densities were also felt to be be colloid follicles unchanged from 2009 XXXXXXX Are either of these two situations reasons for special concern as described? In the case of the liver I was told once that the condition disappears with weight loss. But what are the risks if the fatty liver continues or worsens over time? Thank you.
Posted Sun, 1 Jul 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
Fatty liver is basically excess fat deposition in the liver along with inflammation. It is usually suspected when the liver enzymes, ALT & AST are raised in the blood and there are no reasons to explain this rise. It most often occurs in people who are in their middle ages and are overweight/obese.

If fatty liver is found, then you need to restrict your alcohol intake (if you are taking any) and do some regular exercise like brisk walking for 45 min-1 hour daily. Ursodeoxychiloic acid (UDCA) is supposed to help in reducing the fatty liver.

I suggest you to consult a gastroenterologist and get it prescribed.
In case it is left treated and it worsens over time, it may lead to cirrhosis of liver.
The nodules in the neck seem to be benign and non progressive but still it would be best to get it further investigated under the guidance of your ENT specialist to detect any pathology early.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Sonogram shows prominent fatty liver. What are the risks ? 30 minutes later
Thank you Dr. Fatal. My wife does need to lose at least 50 pounds and this was her first abdominal sonogram.So she may have had it for a longer time. Does weight loss usually take care of it in ordinary people not using alcohol? How common is this problem and what does prominent liver involve?
Are the small nodules common among people in middle age on the thyroid?
Follow-up: Sonogram shows prominent fatty liver. What are the risks ? 2 minutes later
Sorry, my cell phone typed your name incorrectly, Dr. Tayal!
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Fatty liver is a common problem among obese. It can be taken care of by losing extra weight. A prominent liver refers to mildly enlarged size which again regresses once the fat deposits are taken care of.
Finding small nodules in thyroid is not a common finding and should be investigated to rule out any pathology.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.