Soft stools, stomach flu symptoms, stomach ache

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Over the past several months, I've noticed that my stools are soft (not solid forms) and tend to stick to the sides of the toilet. I would say, it happens about 75% of the time. Every 4-6 months I will have the symptoms of stomach flu - this time (last few days) I've had a stomache ache lasting about three days. Not sure if this has anything to do with my soft sticky stool.

Any thoughts?
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 14 minutes later

You have provided a good information, but I would like to know few more things to suggest you better.

1. Do you have painful abdominal distention after a meal?

2. Do you pass lot of gases?

3. Does the abdominal pain relieve on passing stool?

4. Do you sometimes have constipation also?

5. Are the stools very pale to look at?

6. Do you have jaundice?

7. How has your mood been lately, do you get enough sleep?

According to your history, there is possibility of Lactose intolerance and consumption of diary products could be attributed to that as a cause of your soft stools.

Other causes can be diet XXXXXXX in fats, carbohydrates and less in fibre. Eating bakery products, pastries, would add on to lactose intolerance symptoms and cause the problem as well.

Since you have frequent attacks of diarrhoea, it could be attributed to a possible irritable bowel. Avoid high carbohydrate diet, high fat diet. Eat high protein diet consisting of cereals, pulses, chicken, eggs, lean meat and also plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables which add bulk to your stools and make them easily disposed and flushable in the toilet. Drink plenty of water to speed up bowel movement as well.

The fact that you have stomach aches, altered bowel habits and lactose intolerance go in favour of Irritable bowel syndrome.

You can consult your Doctor and get evaluated including a stool test to rule out presence of parasites, any features of absorption problem in intestine etc.

Do practice proper handwashing technique before eating food. This can also lead to frequent attacks of diarrhea due to infection.

Do daily brisk walking and get 6-8 hours of sleep. Do Yoga to help relieve stress.

Kindly reply to my questions so that I can provide more specific suggestions.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.