Smoker. Have cough and sore throat. Not cured by amoxil. Suggest effective medicine

Dec 2012

Hi I had a cough 2 months a go than gone away then I had a sore throat and then gone away but not quite then I had another thickly cough become heavy and chesty with getting rid of XXXXXXX flame I went to doctor he described
antibiotic course Amoxil and asked me to go for a X XXXXXXX no result as yet but the cough start to go away but I feel my throat is bit sore and little shivers in this cold but I am worried I need some advice by the way I an A smoker
Posted Sat, 2 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later

It seems you have a chest affection which could be as a result of an infection especially bacteria or mycobacteria. So,that explains the reason for the prescription of the antibiotics; amoxil. Depending on the number of days prescribed and the specific type of infection, you should normally be feeling some improvement.

If the heavy productive cough is persistent, it simply means amoxil does not suffice and you will probably need another course of antibiotics associated to a mucolytic or antituissive.

The sore throat can either be inflammation associated with coughing or may be an extension of infection. Either way, you should feel better with warm saline gargles. Betadine gargles can give additional benefits.

If symptoms are persistent and troubling, I would suggest you to visit your doctor right away so he/she can examine you for specific infection by doing clinical evaluation, laboratory test and chest x-ray.

Being a smoker could predispose you to lung cancer or tuberculosis as shown by various studies. The current symptoms is less likely to be associated with a cancer.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need further clarifications.

Nsah, MD
Follow-up: Smoker. Have cough and sore throat. Not cured by amoxil. Suggest effective medicine 12 hours later
Hello Doctor

How do I get rid of the sore throat and the Mucus that its always hard to swallow and the feverishness
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later

You can use any mucolytic like acetylcysteine (mucomyst 200mg) or carbocysteine syrups. But, if there is an infection, you may require another course of antibiotics. The above medications should be taken only after consulting with your treating physician. He would be able to examine you and then decide over the investigations and treatment required.

You can do the following to relieve you of the sore throat.
- Warm saline gargle 3-4 times a day.
- Avoid drinking cold water/juices.
- Maintain your room at a warm temperature.
- Steam inhalation.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have further queries.