Smoker. Getting hives and noticed blood coming from throat. Proper diagnosis?

ENT Specialist
Question
hi I am having blood coming from throat . The traces of blood could be seen everyday .but it is more now. I am getting hives every day also. The doctors did endoscopt on uper gasintstinal tract and said nothing. I am also experencing feeling like something in my throat. Due you think it might be a concern becauise the blood quantity is more this morning. and the feeling of something going on in my throat is there alll the time. I'm 25 and smoked for almost 3 years.
Posted Sun, 10 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 19 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. A small amount of blood spotting or streaking after coughing up phlegm, especially in the mornings, is not a cause for worry.

2. However, since you also have hives, you should get examined by an ENT , Dental and Skin Specialists.

3. Fresh red colored blood means it has come from the upper gut. Blood from the stomach is dark brown or black due to the action of gastric acid. Meanwhile you may inspect your gums, especially between the teeth, and oral cavity including around and below the tongue for any obvious source of this bleed. This may also be a cause for the hives.

4. Lymphoid tissue is abundant in the throat. It is very delicate and bleeds easily during coughing. Erosive esophagitis or gastritis is another probable cause. Check your detailed endoscopy report. The foreign body feeling in your throat may be due to a post-nasal drip, granular pharyngitis or acid relfux.

4. Your physician may also examine more thoroughly besides endoscopy (which seems to be normal), especially to rule out any growths, conduct scans, dental check-up and blood tests including a coagulogram if this is a recurrent problem.

5. Do you have any other significant past history and are you currently on any medication? Is there any history suggestive of oral injury due to a sharp food item or food contaminant (foreign body)? You need not take any immediate medication if there is no further episode besides medicated gargles and Vitamin C (especially if you have exposure to tobacco smoke).

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Smoker. Getting hives and noticed blood coming from throat. Proper diagnosis? 4 minutes later

I already went to dentist and ruled out that I don't have any bleeding problems. She also said my oral hygiene is good. And I don't have cough or cold either. The blood is more today , I mean lblood is in large quantity.
and also I'm sure its coming from throat

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 17 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

1. Get a video laryngoscopy done. This will help identify any problem in the throat.

2. Get a Chest X-ray and an opinion of a Chest Specialist. You may also get a Sputum examination done for three consecutive days.

It is good to hear that your dental check-up and blood tests are within normal limits.

Regards.

Follow-up: Smoker. Getting hives and noticed blood coming from throat. Proper diagnosis? 2 minutes later
do u think this is really a cause of concern or any cancer related

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 8 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

1. No, at your age, cancer is very unlikely.

2. Any cancer will show up on regular follow up. Ear detection is the key to a cure.

3. There are many other causes for bleeding from the throat which need to be ruled out first.

4. Cancer cure rates are improving every year with early detection and newer treatment options.

5. This episode would be a good reason for you to give up smoking.

Regards.

Follow-up: Smoker. Getting hives and noticed blood coming from throat. Proper diagnosis? 9 hours later
Hello sir,

I forgot to tell. I am getting some amount of blood from nose also . I also observed blood in my mucus every day and the feeling like something is inside my throat is all the time , irrespective of day or night. I already had ultra-sonogram on my thyroid, heart and also my breathing test which came normal.
As I told you before my endoscopy results are also normal. I also want to mention you that when I take bath I am observing since couple of days redness only on my right chest. I'm also suffering from chronic hives since 6 months. Hives are coming each and every day. As chronic hives sometimes tell underlying conditions, I'm really concerned about that.Also I'm feeling like my eyebrow and my lips moving without my notice. This is my complete health picture.
Can you also tell me what is the possibility of getting lung diseases at my age.

Sorry if I trouble you,

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 4 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. Nasal bleeding may explain why the endoscopy was normal.

2. I was contemplating on mentioning the possibility of a nasal bleed (recommend a nasal endoscopy) and post nasal drip but did not mention it earlier as you had not given any such history.

3. Hence you must now get a check nasal endoscopy done.

4. The hives can be controlled with anti-allergic medication and steroids till the cause is identified.

5. The twitching movement of the eyebrow and lips are not considered significant.

6. If your Chest examination, chest X-ray and Lung Function Tests are normal, the possibility of lung disease at your age is very low.

It is not troublesome at all for me to explain your questions in detail. These are common symptoms and once the cause of your bleeding and hives is identified, they can be cured.

Regards.