Taking lamictal for yeast infection and having hives on pubis. What is the treatment for hives?

Dec 2012

I am 62 years old, female, for 25 yrs. have successfully taken a propholactic regime to treat migraines, for 10 years have taken Bipolar meds. Just switched from 50 mg Lamictal, for past 2 weeks have (on doctor's orders), increased to 75 mg. That is when my yeast infection presented, with increase of Lamictal, for the first time in my life, internal yeast infection is resolving with Miconozale, but I have hives on my pubis. (Also have chronic hives on left torso from 3 years of daily med for MAC.) What can I do to treat the hives? the itching is temporarily relieved w/ Miconozole cream. I am going out of the country in 5 days. No room for Doctors' appointments. How to treat hives/yeast infesction on pubic area without a prescription? Thanks, XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 2 Dec 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later
Brief Answer: OTC topical creams can help Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for posting your query, I am sorry for your troubles and I understand it must be difficult dealing with such as situation. I will try answering your question right away. There are several treatment options available for treatment of hives/yeast infection. Before I proceed, you will need to be 100% sure that you are indeed dealing with with hives or yeast infection first (i.e clinically confirmed by a health care provider). Generally, corticosteroids orally or topically usually help get rid of hives and if hives are chronic, then long term treatment should be considered together with immunotherapy (which you can not do on your own but with specialist doctor's consent). Yeast infection is easy to treat without prescription. In most country (I do not know situation exact at USA), you can get Nystatin 500000 UI (2 tablets trice daily for 10-15 days) without prescription. Others such as ketokonazole, fluconazole or griseofulvin require prescription only. External yeast infection/hives can be treated with body creams such as hydrocortisone or betamethasone applied daily until lesions disappear. If body or pubic area is itchy, you may take antihistamines such as chlorpheniramine (can be found OTC). So your treatment involves: - Corticotherapy - Antihistamines - Antifungal: Oral or topical - Reconsidering dose of lamictal as one of the side effects of this medication is infection (which could be yeast). So please, do discuss about this with your doctor. Also, sorry for the slight delay in responding to your query, it seems online doctor's are quite busy with assisting other patients and I hope sincerely that might responsible will be able to be of value to your health situation. Hope this helps and wish you the best. Please feel free to write a follow-up query for further assistance. Dr. Nsah