Small lump between vulva and anus. It is not growing and not sore. What is it?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Question
hi,
I'm a 20 year old female and sexual activity with a long term partner.
I am worried as i have a small lump between my vulva and my anus. It's not sore to the touch and neutral in color. I have only noticed it in the last few days or so. It doesnt seem to be growing but does seem more noticeable to the touch after a hot shower. I am wondering what it is and if i should be worried.
Thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
Hello ,
Your symptoms most likely could be due to an early stage of a perineal abscess or a sebaceous cyst less likely an XXXXXXX hemorrhoid or ingrown hair.
Though you do not have pain, tenderness or pus discharge which are seen in a typical abscess, a perineal abscess or cyst may grow to a large size before having such symptoms .It is a common condition in females and may or may not bed related to shaving of perineum.
The treatment is usually a course of oral antibiotics of penicillin group and hot fomentation thrice daily .Sometimes the abscess might need incision and drainage if not resolved with medications alone.
In case of an hemorrhoid or sinus , too the treatment is most likely minor surgical procedure after confirmation of diagnosis.
However they are not likely in your case if you have no associated symptoms.
You need to consult your surgeon or GP or a gynaecologist (whoever you find comfortable ) for a
thorough examination and confirmation of diagnosis.
Its advisable to seek early consultation so that the chances of the lesion resolving with oral medications are increased and surgery might be prevented.
Meanwhile you should maintain adequate genital hygiene and do warm sitz bath for early healing and avoid fidgeting with the lump .