Skin tanning, dry skin, skin peeling, normal colour in winter, missing natural oils

I live in Norway and have been to several doctors with my skinissue... How can I explain... My origin is Portuguese, and I get a dark XXXXXXX in the summer and do not easily get sunburned. But each summer when I XXXXXXX my skin (the part that is getting sun) dries out after 2 weeks, eventhoug I use aftersun every day. It's not just that I get dry skin, but the entire skin can be peeled off after a shower...(meaning The dry skin beeing wet, makes it removable as if I had put on a creme Of color) Like i take off a layer... Almost like a snake changing it's skin... My XXXXXXX reduces from dark to brighter, and it doesent stop until IM back to My natural color as in The winter....... My skin is not itcy, not red and seems to be normal except in The summer when I XXXXXXX ... Help me!! Seems like My skin is missing a natural oil than prevent it from dissolve in contact with liquids like water og lotion...
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 8 hours later

After going through your query I feel that, it will be very helpful for me in understanding your condition better if you could answer some of these questions:

1. Have you done any blood investigations ?
2. Was skin biopsy done ?
3. Did any dermatologist suspect porphyrias ?
4. Have you tried oral sunscreens like chloroquine ?
5. Send me images of your skin condition

If you have any reports, hospital records, pictures etc send them to the following id " YYYY@YYYY " with subject line as "ATTN - Dr. P V S Prasad".

Awaiting your reply.

Follow-up: Skin tanning, dry skin, skin peeling, normal colour in winter, missing natural oils 38 hours later

I tried yesterday to contact the dermatologist to receive information about my last visit. I havent been there for years, because he couldnt tell me what it could cause.
About your questions:
1.I have not done any investigation of the blood - as fare as I know.
2. I think the doctor did a biopsy - but im not quite sure. I remember that he did a lot of tests of the skin, without any result.
3. He didnt come up with any diagnosis, but when I google PORPHYRIAS I would say I do not recognise any of the symptoms.
4. I have not tried oral sunscreen.
5. And about pictures of my skin... At the time I dont have any images, and I havent got a XXXXXXX yet that can show my skinproblem. In a month time I guess I would. The summer has not yet started in Norway. I can send you an image of my skin at the present moment - when its all normal.

My skintype is dry to normal throuhout the year, but when I peel off the skin in the summer, the skin under is not dry but almost fat...Feels like I have put on to much moisture....
And the skin that I peel off, comes off like its "powder", as if all the skincells falls off one by one, and not like when you get sunburned and you can take of a flake of a certain size... I dont know how to explain to make it as resonable as possibel... I have heard that the skin changes all ist cells after 40 days. In my case it seems like it changes in a week - all at the same time! For a couple of years I have tried to peel my skin every day throu the summer - with a "rough" peeling - scrubbing my entire body hard. It has worked, but if I only do it every second day, my skin dries out anyway and I can remove the XXXXXXX - and to avoide to look like a "girafe" with spotsof dark and brighter XXXXXXX When I get a really dark XXXXXXX and it dies out, just to but on a heavy bag on my shoulder, will scrub of the skin and leave a brighter aerea... and then I might as well peel of the rest...
In that case I will have to change between dark and bright, dark and bright all summer, and hope that when I go the the pool or to the beach, the skin will not start to desolve... and leave me like a "girafe"...

Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 21 hours later
Hi and thanks again.

I have noted down the details. The skin images when you are off the symptoms are not very informative.

The outer layer of the skin which sheds is dead keratin. Normally the shedding is not grossly visible. When it is visible, we call it scaling. Nutritional factors, hydration, sun burns, etc are few of the factors that can trigger scaling of skin.

You are experiencing scaling during summer season. It doesn't seem to me as a serious concern.

At present I suggest you the following:
1. Drink plenty of water to improve hydration during summer season.
2. Avoid sun exposure as much as possible.
3. Use good sunscreens with SPF 30-40 twic a day, atleast half an hour before going out in sun light.
4. Use good moisturizers in the evening after a shower you may use good moisturizers. Vitamin XXXXXXX moisturizers.

Hope my answers are both informative and adequate