Ask a Urologist   »  

Skin particles in urine, kidney stones. Normal?

Urologist
Question
Noticed tiny (what looks like) skin particles in urine...
I noticed today some tiny "skin like" looking particles in my urine. My urine is clear otherwise.
Is this normal? I have read that it is but wanted to confirm...

Just some background on me...
I do have kidney stones but they are not super active at this time..
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 36 minutes later

The tiny skin like particles you are passing in urine are most likely crystals in the urine. It is normal to pass crystals in urine.

However, you should get routine urine examination done to confirm that there is nothing abnormal in the urinary system.

There is no need to worry as it is not a serious health concern.

Hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your further queries if any.

Follow-up: Skin particles in urine, kidney stones. Normal? 3 hours later
I submitted another question but never got a reply....so maybe I did not send it by mistake...

I drank about 4 glasses of water and it cleared right up. This is a good sign right?

6 months ago I went to the doctor and he did a CT scan and urine test and found 4 stones in my kidneys - small ones.

I tend to worry about my health too much and have read that these particles could also be from bladder wall, infection, etc. However, all the information does not point to it being a symptom that is life threatening in any way - do you agree?

THANKS

Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 1 hour later

Thanks for getting back to me.

Small stones in the kidney usually don't cause any troubles. However, you should get your metabolic workup done to ascertain a possible cause for your stone disease.
These particles can also be because of infection but then you shall have lot of other symptoms associated with infection.

You obviously don't have any life threatening condition and should let your mind rest at peace.

Wish you good health.