Skin on fingers thickened, splitting in painful fissures. Steroid cream had no effects. What is it?

For the past three years, the skin on my fingers has thickened in certain areas, eventually splitting with painful fissures. The has begun in Spring and subsided in Winter, however this year it has not gone away. So I have been to see my GP twice who firstly took photographs of my hands exaplianing that he dodn't know what the cause or condition was. He presecibed some non-soap handwash and some setroid hand cream, neither of which had any positive effect. I returned to my GP and saw another doctor who prescriobed some "stonger" cream, again without any positive effect. The skin on my index fingers is broken, a litte scaly, with very painful fissures. Can you suggest what the problem is called, what may cause is and any possible cure or treatment?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 3 hours later
Hi Mr. Ronperrie.

Thank you for posting your query.

With your description I can think of two possibilities.
1. Localised psoriasis
2. Localised hand eczema.

These conditions can be managed with.

1. A good emolient to be applied frequently in the day.
2. A strong steroid cream followed by tacrolimus or pimecrolimus cream at night.
3. You may take anti hiatamines at night in addition.

If you want to establish the cause you may undergo patch tesats done by your dermatologist.

Hope I have answered your query. Please revert back to me if you need further clarifacation.

Dr. Prasad P.V.S