How long does it take for the clarithromycin to work?

Excellent

Question
Hello? How long does it take for the clarithromycin to work?
Posted Wed, 15 Jan 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Hardik Thakker 1 hour later
Brief Answer: 6 hours to 2 days. Detailed Answer: I am not sure why were you prescribed Clarithromycin. Clarithromycin is a macrolide group of antibiotic. It reaches peak serum concentrations in 2.5 hours of consumption. Steady state levels are reached in 2 days time.Its action is evident after 6 hours of consumption but full killer effect on the bacteria is seen after achieving a steady state by 2 days. I hope this helps you out. If you have any more questions, please do not hesitate to write back to me. Yours sincerely, Dr Thakker.

Follow-up: How long does it take for the clarithromycin to work? 15 minutes later
Hi. the doctor didn't tell me what was wrong or what I had. I went to the hospital because my throat, neck and jaw are swollen and it really hurts to swallow. so he prescribed me with the clarithromycin. although after 24 hours the swelling hasnt gone down in my neck or jaw. is that normal?

Answered by Dr. Hardik Thakker 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Please read the reply. Detailed Answer: Dear patient. Thanks for your follow up question. Your doctor has prescribed you clarithromycin for an upper respiratory tract infection. It will take another day or two for the full effect of the antibiotic. Hence I would ask you to wait for another day or two. I would recommend to you some anti-inflammatory drugs like brufen, warm salt water gargles thrice a day and steam inhalation thrice a day. These will give you good relief from the symptoms. I hope this helps you out. If you have any more questions, please do not hesitate to write back to me. Yours sincerely, Dr Thakker