Skin easily scraped and broken resulting in bleeding in exposed area such as hand arms and legs. Suggest?

I find my skin easily scraped and broken resulting in bleeding -this happens to my exposed area's ,such as hand arm,s & legs which have become unusually sensitive to what should be normal contact with the environment...
Posted Sat, 20 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 6 hours later

Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Easy breaking of skin with bleeding seems to be related to old age.

As age advances the collagen fibers of skin and small blood vessels decrease in amount .This results in easy bruising.Chronic sun exposure is one of important aggravating factor.

The condition is harmless and there is nothing much about to worry.There is no need for any special blood tests or other investigations. Still it would be better if you could upload a photo of the lesions. Also let me know of details of your condition.

Till then, take the following precautions:

Avoid sun exposure .You can use a good sunscreen of spf ranging between 30to 50.

Vitamin C increases strength of collagen in skin and blood vessels.It is available as chewable tablets.Supplementing your diet with fruits XXXXXXX in vitamin c will also help.

Avoid harsh soaps.Avoid excessive rubbing of skin during bathing.Use loose cotton clothes as far as possible.

I hope this can solve your query. In case of any concerns, I will be happy to help you.