Should non-veg food be avoided after a dog bite?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2014
Apr 2014

Radiologist
Question
Hi doctor, early morning yesterday street dog has bitten me, and i had taken vaxirab N injection and doctor suggested to take 4 more dose with gap of 3 days each . Any food control need to follow. My friends are telling to avoid Non-Veg for 6 months. Is it necessary?.Please advice. Regards, XXXX
Posted Mon, 3 Mar 2014 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: No,you don't need to avoid non-veg food. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing to us No,you don't need to avoid non-veg food.You can take what ever you like,there is no food restriction. But i have doubt about dose schedule of antirabies vaccine.It should be on days 0,3,7,14 and 28th day counting from first day of bite.Day 0 is counted as day of bite. All the doses are not given with gap of 3 days.You need to re-confrm the dose schedule. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Should non-veg food be avoided after a dog bite? 2 hours later
thank you doctor. the schedule he has given as follows: 10feb-day of bite 13th feb 17th feb 24th feb 10th march

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: Schedule mentioned by me is the routine one. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing back Schedule mentioned by me is the routine one.However it can be changed depending upon the severity of bite. I presume that your doctor has examined you well and decide according to severity. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX