Should i take an expensive injection that produces eggs or go for an egg donor to get pregnant?

Hi doctor, this is rahini XXXXXXX and iam 41 yrs old and iam 72 kg. Iam under treatment for pregnancy.I have both tube blocks, thyroid.I have been given eltroxcin 150 mg, and absolute 3g,native c 400g,astryn forte,lrzin forte.I was adviced to take luprid injection last month till my periods, but when i went for scan on the second day of my periods the doctor said that the result is solid and they said that iam not able to produce eggs.I discontinued my cycle and i went this month for scan on the second day of my periods. They took a blood test of LH, FSH and prolactive serium. The result shows that FSH is 12 and the doctors are advicing me two options,one is to have an injection which will help to produce eggs which will cost me around 40,000/- and another is to go for an donor.I would like to ask you doctor that how positive it will be in taking the injection and what will be your advice in this regards.What should i do, go for injection or to go for a donor. Will there be any side affects in future.If at all i take the injection how healthy will be the eggs, because the doctors has adviced me that the eggs will not be healthy due to my age factor.Please advice. My mail id is YYYY@YYYY . Iam waiting for your reply so that i can proceed my treatment.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
Hi Rahini,

Your options here are either to take hormone injections or try for a donor egg. Since both tubes are blocked, natural conception won't be possible.

Your age is a major negative factor. After the age of 40, the eggs reduce almost 80% in quantity and also the quality of the eggs will not be good. The hormone injections will help in ovulation induction but whether it will be a success is debatable. There may be a 35-45% chance that you will produce good eggs. You are already in the peri menopausal age group so you need to make the decision soon.

There is no guarantee that the first cycle of injections will be a success. There may be a need to try at least 3-6 cycles. If that's not a success then your other option will be to use a donor egg.

So, basically here your choice matters, along with financial security, of course.

You need to talk with your partner about the fact that several cycles of injections may be needed and the chances of success may or may not be there.

There won't be any long lasting effects of the injections but more than 3- 6 cycles is generally not indicated.

Hope this answers your queries. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.