Should cartigen forte and miol be discontinued when planning to conceive ?

Question
Hi ,iam34 yrs old and planning to conceive from next month. Right now iam taking cartigen forte and miol twice daily due to Knee CMP. Should I discontinue the medicine?
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 33 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for posting your query. No drug is safe to be taken in pregnancy especially in the first trimester when development of organs occur. During this time, the risk of congenital malformations due to the harmful effects of medicines is commonest.

Cartigen forte contains chondroitin sulfate, glucosamine sulfate and MSM (a naturally occurring sulphur compound). Pregnant and breastfeeding women should not take chondroitin, since it has not been studied for safety in these groups. It is advisable not to take this drug if you are intending to conceive and you should stop taking these medicines under your doctor’s supervision atleast 1 month before conceiving. In first trimester and before pregnancy only Folic acid is to be taken which helps prevent neural tube defects.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Should cartigen forte and miol be discontinued when planning to conceive ? 15 hours later
Thanks a lot for the valuable advice. Considering my age, what other tests should I take apart from blood sugar and thyroid before I conceive. Last month I did these 2 tests which appeared to be normal-fasting-74.4mg/dl, PP-88.9mg/dl, T3-1.49ng/ml ,T4-7.86ug/dl, TSH-2.81uiu/ml. Can I start taking Autrin which has folic acid and Iron

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 11 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Apart from the blood sugars and thyroid function tests, I suggest few other test such as:

1) PAP smear
2) Herpes
3) Hepatitis B
4) TORCH
5) Genetic screening (considering your age)

Before conceiving, you need to take just folic acid.

Iron supplements are not needed. It is given as supplements in the second trimester. And folic acid is continued throughout the first trimester.