Should I start heat application for my bruised swollen leg?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
On Dec 25th I was involved in a motorbike accident, My lower leg got very swollen and I did RICE for a few days. I had an xray and the bone was completely fine. I still wasn't able to apply any pressure on my leg since it would hurt. When I initially got hurt, there was just a scratch on my leg. Over the days it got swollen and a bruise started to form. I still have a bruise but I am still having trouble walking. I use crutches at the moment to get to work and back home. I don't know what else to do. Should I start applying heat to the bruise and massaging it?
Posted Mon, 3 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: Described below Detailed Answer: Hi, I have studied your case and clinical photos, There is skin discoloration due to blunt injury on calf, and there is hematoma near ankle. As x ray is normal indicates soft tissue injury due to acceleration and blunt trauma. I can not compare swelling, but if swelling is there, you need to take rest and use splint or compressive crepe bandage to reduce swelling. On calf scar mark you can apply cream usually I prescribe my patients kelo-kote cream and Tab chymoral forte ,you can take it consulting your doctor. On ankle you can apply thrombhophobe ointment. Watch for increase in redness, infection. Take precaution to avoid infection around hematoma. Do not use hot fomentation or massage. If required you may need to do blood investigation for prognosis and recovery. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care

Follow-up: Should I start heat application for my bruised swollen leg? 17 hours later
for resting, should I have my leg elevated above heart level ? Would acupuncture help with the pain from the bruise or help alleviate the inflammation?

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Elevation should be above heart level. Detailed Answer: Hello again, You can keep 1 or 2 pillow for elevation above heart level. Exercises like ankle and toe movement while taking rest will help to reduce swelling. Acupuncture is traditional way of treatment,there are no scientific paper to prove results of therapy.You can take your own decision regarding acupuncture. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care Regards Dr Vaibhav