Should I get irregular periods checked?

Hello, I'm 27 going on 28, 5'3.5, My question has to do with my menstrual cycle so I feel I should mention that my first period came when I was 8yrs old and I had some problems then with having 2 periods a month that was regulated by the time I was 13, I am currently in a long term relationship but we always use protection but I have been off the pill since Aug.2010 and for the past 3months periods have come anywhere from exactly 1-3weeks late. My current period came only 2days late if you count the initial light pinks, spotting days, so this period in comparison to the last 3months started out irregular. It started 8days ago with very light pink spotting for 2days then on the 3rd I had mild bleeding for the 1st part of my morning then and it was on and off for another 2days on the 5th day it was heavy bleeding all day on the 7th day it was very light w/brownish spotting and today on it was gone all morning until about 5hrs its heavy again and at full force the entire time I haven't had too much cramping just mild back pains and light pressure on my stomach and I have noticed a frequent urge to urinate. What I'd like to know is if this sounds like something I need to get checked out or is it just a common irregular period?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 14 minutes later

For such kind of on and off delayed periods especially when you are not on any birth control, firstly you need to test your pregnancy status by doing a urine for pregnancy test for which kits are readily available in market. Use a morning sample of urine and two lines means a positive test. Alternately you can consult a gynecologist immediately who will do a serum beta hCG test and a pelvic ultrasound to confirm or rule out pregnancy.

If pregnancy is ruled out then we need to concentrate on other causes of such irregular periods. It is not a common irregular period because you have been having irregular periods for quite some time and needs to be evaluated.

First of all it can be due to metrorrhagia which causes uterine bleeding at irregular intervals, particularly between the expected menstrual periods. Metrorrhagia can occur due to dysfunction uterine bleeding, hormonal imbalance, polyps, fibroids, endometriosis, infections of the cervix, vagina or endometrium, pelvic inflammatory disease, ovarian insufficiency, ovarian cysts or benign lesions of the female reproductive system.

In my opinion you need to get your pelvic examination done from your gynecologist along with investigations like complete blood count, thyroid function tests, PAP smear, hormonal levels, cervical swab and ultrasound uterus. Once is identified, treatment can be planned.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.